Monday, October 23, 2006

WMWARE under FreeBSD


I recently installed vmware in my freebsd 6.1-RELEASE laptop (the one from where Im writing this) and is so easey. I'll use VMWare to install windows, OPenBSD and other stuff in my Lap, so I can test applications, run windows programs(also can use wine.. I'll do it later), test tools and so on.

These are the steps I follow:

# cd /usr/ports/emulators/vmware3

#make install clean

Of course that I need X-Window already running. I only have a couple of problems with some dependency packages; all I do was download the package and pkg_add package.tbz. If the package was not available, I open another terminal and cd to the port directory and do make install clean.

Then when the installation finished, I make a script that mount the linprocfs partition and change the sysctl value. Here is the script:

#!/bin/sh

echo "Loading kernel sysctl flag"
sysctl kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed=1

echo "Starting VMWare Service"
/usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d/001.vmware.sh start

echo "Mounting procfs"
mount -t linprocfs /proc /compat/linux/proc

echo "Starting Client"
vmware &

To start vmware, just type:

# ./vmware-start.sh

I hope these can help you..

C. R.

No comments: